Steak and Mushroom Pie is perfect for serving on a cold winters night.
Serve with creamy mashed potatoes, glazed carrots and leafy green vegetables such as Savoy cabbage
Yield – 4 servings
- Preheat the oven to 1500C/Fan oven 1300C/ gas mark 2. Dip the meat into seasoned flour. Heat the oil in a frying pan and brown the meat in batches. Place in a flameproof casserole dish. Deglaze the bottom of the pan with stock if it is getting a little dark and add to the dish. Use more oil as necessary.
- Add the onion and garlic to the frying pan and cook gently for 5 minutes. Add the red wine and bring to the boil. Simmer for a few minutes before adding the stock. Mix in the herbs, season with salt and pepper and pour over the meat. Cover with a lid and cook in the oven for 1 ½ hours.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the chopped mushrooms. Cook quickly, evaporating any juices before adding to the stew. Cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and allow to cool, preferably overnight, before putting on the pastry. If making for 2 people freeze half the meat filling now to use at a later date.
- Preheat the oven to 1900C/Fan oven 1700C/ gas mark 5. Put the meat in a small pie dish. Roll out the pastry and cut a thin strip of pastry off. Brush some water around the edge of the pie dish and stick the strip onto it. Brush this with more water. Carefully lift the pastry lid onto the top of the pie.
- Using a sharp knife, cut off the excess pastry. Knock up the edges with the back of a knife. Using a finger and thumb of one hand and a forefinger on the other, crimp the edge of the pastry. Chill and brush the pastry with beaten egg. Put on a baking dish and bake for 35 – 40 minutes.
If you enjoyed the recipe or have any questions at all, feel free to email us at email@example.com and we’ll be happy to help! Share your creations using our #ENTCSCreations hashtag on Instagram. Check out our other recipes by visiting our Recipe tab and subscribe to our Youtube channel for some exciting recipe videos.