This rich and indulgent cake was devised by Courtney Thompson, who was a student on our Six Month Diploma in 2013. If you’re looking for cherry recipes or cherry desserts, this one is for you! It’s a brilliant cake idea to impress during a party. What makes this dessert delicious is the white chocolate ganache paired with cherries.
If cherries are not available, you can use other soft fruit for example strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and kiwi fruits.
Yield – 8 servings
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/ fan oven160C/ Gas mark 4. Butter and line the base of two 18cm/7inch sandwich tins with parchment paper cut to fit.
2. Put the flour, baking powder and sugar into a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the butter, eggs and milk (the butter must be really soft, but not melted, for this to work). Beat together until light and fluffy. Lightly fold in the milk chocolate pieces and mashed banana.
3. Divide the mixture evenly between the tins. Bake side by side on the middle shelf for 25-30 minutes until springy to the touch and beginning to shrink away from the sides.
4. Remove from the oven, leave to cool in the tins for 5 minutes. Turn out on a wire rack, remove the lining paper and leave to cool for about 1 hour before icing.
5. For the ganache: put the white chocolate and cream into a heatproof bowl and melt gently over a pan of hot water.
6. For the cherries: melt both dark and white chocolate separately. Take 2 or 3 of the best whole cherries Dip half the cherry in melted white chocolate and the other in dark. Place on baking paper in a cool place to set.
7. Wash the fresh cherries, stone and then quarter them. Once cake has cooled layer ganache on the bottom half then sprinkle the cherries over and cover with other half of cake. Cover the top of the cake with the rest of the ganache and decorate with chocolate covered cherries.
If you enjoyed the recipe or have any questions at all, feel free to email us at email@example.com and we’ll be happy to help! Share your creations using our #ENTCSCreations hashtag on Instagram. Check out our other recipes by visiting our Recipe tab and subscribe to our Youtube channel for some exciting recipe videos.