Check out this amazing recipe for Marinated Chicken Chickpea Wraps with Vegetable Pickle and Chipotle Mayonnaise! With this wonderful chicken wrap, you will add another tasty lunch idea to your arsenal. It’s made with gram (chickpea) flour which provides a unique, slightly hummusy flavour. The vegetable pickle improves the taste even further. Try it out now and you’ll never think about chicken wraps the same way!
This recipe was born from one in Diana Henry’s book “Simple”. I didn’t have all the ingredients for it and so substituted and changed quantities. I made Chickpea pancakes to serve with them rather than rolls. It is very easy to make but takes a bit of time and planning. However, most of it can be prepped in advance and it makes a great family supper which is a great favourite in our house.
For the pancakes:
200g gram flour (chickpea flour)
320 – 350mls water
pinch chipotle or ordinary chilli flakes (optional)
sunflower oil for frying
For the chicken:
8 – 12 chicken thighs (depending on size), cut into strips
3 cloves garlic, crushed
70mls soy sauce
2 tbsp light brown sugar
2 tsp rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp sesame oil
washed leaves of coriander or flat leaf parsley.
For the vegetable pickle:
1 sliced banana shallot
1 chopped red chilli
3 tsp caster sugar
4 tbsp rice wine vinegar
For the chipotle mayonnaise:
200mls ready-made mayonnaise
2 – 3 tsp chipotle paste
½ clove garlic, crushed or grated
- Whisk the gram flour with the water, salt and chipotle chilli flakes. Allow to stand for at least 30 minutes or longer. Put in the refrigerator if it is standing for longer than 30 minutes.
- Put the chicken into a large bowl and add the garlic, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar and sesame oil. Mix well, cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Peel the carrots , top and tail and use the potato peeler to cut into thin strips. Top and tail the washed courgette and cut into strips with the potato peeler. Peel the cucumber and cut in half lengthways. Scoop the seeds out with a teaspoon and discard. Cut into on a slant into slices. Put all the prepared vegetables in a colander. Add half a teaspoon of salt and mix it through the vegetables. Allow it to stand on a plate for an hour.
- To make the sauce mix the mayonnaise with the chipotle paste, garlic and some lime juice to taste.
- To make the chick pea pancakes heat a little oil in a frying pan. Pour off the excess. Add some of the batter and swirl around the pan to make a thin pancake. Keep on the heat and cook until brown before flipping it over. Cook for a further minute. Put into a clean tea towel and cover to keep supple. Continue with the rest of the batter. You will need at least 12 pancakes.
- Rinse the vegetables with cold water and dry in a clean tea towel. Put into a bowl and add the shallot, chilli, sugar and vinegar. Mix well and leave to stand for 30 minutes.
- Heat some oil in a large frying pan when hot and add about 1/3 of the chicken. Fry until brown and cooked through. Put into a dish and keep warm whilst cooking the other batches of chicken.
- To serve: Put out the dishes of chicken, pancakes, pickle, mayonnaise and herbs for everyone to serve themselves. Put a pancake on your plate, spread on some mayonnaise, top with chicken, pickle and herbs. Wrap up and eat. The pancakes tend to fall apart a bit if they get wet so it is easier to eat with a knife and fork!
If you enjoyed the recipe or have any questions at all, feel free to email us at email@example.com and we’ll be happy to help! Share your creations using our #ENTCSCreations hashtag on Instagram. Check out our other recipes by visiting our Recipe tab and subscribe to our Youtube channel for some exciting recipe videos.