This is Henry’s Broken Crème Brûlée recipe.
Yield – 2 Servings
- Preheat the oven to 170C /150C fan.
- Melt the butter and stir into the flour and sugar until it forms a dough.
- Transfer mixture to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and press flat to about 3mm thick.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until just golden brown.
- While still warm, put the shortbread in a food processor and blitz until fine crumbs and press the crumbs into round mould same size as Creme Brulee ramekin.
- Put the jelly and hot water in a bowl and microwave for 1 minute.
- Stir until the jelly has completely dissolved and add the cold water.
- Place raspberries in a 3 cm ramekin dish and pour in some Jelly so that it just covers the raspberries.
- Set oven to 160C/140C fan.
- Split the vanilla pod and scrape out the beans and put with the cream and milk into a saucepan and heat to scalding point.
- Mix the egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl, add a splash of the hot cream to the eggs and stir. Continue stirring and slowly add the rest of the cream. Pass through a sieve and pour into ramekin dishes and place into a bain-marie (a roasting tin half filled with hot water).
- Bake for around 35 minutes so that the creme has a slight wobble when shaken. Allow to cool and put into fridge to set.
- Put Ingredients to a food blender. Blend quickly to a puree. Add more sugar or lemon to taste.
- Push through a fine sieve.
- Put 2 ring moulds into a hot oven.
- Heat the sugar in a pan until a light a caramel is reached.
- Pour into 2 moulds the same size as each of the ramekins used for the jelly and creme.
- The caramel discs should pop out of the mould when cool.
- Place the shortbread on a serving plate.
- Turn out the creme brulee on top of the shortbread and clean up the sides of the creme brulee with a palette knife.
- Place a piece of caramel on top so that it looks like a creme brulee.. Carefully turn out the jelly and place on top of the caramel, place the second piece of caramel on top and decorate plate with the coulis.