Atholl Brose is a drink that is made with oats, honey and whisky.
There are many different methods of making it but in essence the oats are steeped in warm water and the resulting milk is used as the base of the drink. Honey and whisky are added to taste and some people like to add cream as well. It can be served cold or warm. This recipe is for an ice cream so we are adding more cream. You can serve this on its own, with shortbread or with a raspberry coulis. The presence of alcohol will make this quite easy to scoop.
Yield – 6 Servings
- Put the oatmeal in a bowl, warm the milk to hand hot (no hotter) and pour over the oats. Leave to steep for 1 – 2 hours. Put a sieve over a bowl and pour the oaty milk through it. Press the oats well to release as much of the milk as possible.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 1800C/ Fan oven 1600C/ Gas mark 4. Put the butter and 1 tbsp honey into a small saucepan and melt carefully. Don’t allow it to get too hot. Mix in the oatmeal and spread out onto a baking sheet that has been lined with baking parchment paper. Put into the oven for 15 minutes or until the oatmeal has caramelised and is mid brown in colour. Cool on the paper.
- Lightly whip the double cream with the 55g honey. Add the evaporated milk and the oat milk. Mix well and taste for sweetness and add more honey or whisky as needed.
- Put into an ice cream maker and churn until it starts to thicken. Break up the caramelised oats and add to the ice cream mixture. Once well churned and thick put into a plastic box and store in the freezer.
- Alternatively you can freeze the mixture and then when nearly frozen, but still a little soft, place in a food processor and process until smooth. Add the crunchy oats and put back into the freezer to freeze.
If you enjoyed the recipe or have any questions at all, feel free to email us at email@example.com and we’ll be happy to help! Share your creations using our #ENTCSCreations hashtag on Instagram. Check out our other recipes by visiting our Recipe tab and subscribe to our Youtube channel for some exciting recipe videos.