Tuesday 15th December 2020
6pm – 8pm
At the Edinburgh New Town Cookery School over the last 10 years we have taught many hundreds of people how to bake beautiful bread and in this online course we will enable you to start your bread baking journey. The smell of bread, freshly baked and straight out of the oven is intoxicating and when you get your breadmaking right, it tastes so much better than bread you might buy in a supermarket. By understanding the role of each of the ingredients and by learning each stage of breadmaking and why it is important, you will become a better baker of bread.
On this 2-hour course, we will teach you the following:
- What ingredients go into bread and what role does each ingredient play
- Why temperature is important in the process of breadmaking
- The best way to knead your bread
- How long should you ferment your dough for and where
- Shaping bread into a loaf or rolls
- How long to prove your bread and how to know when it is ready for the oven
- To glaze or not to glaze?
- Baking and knowing when it is cooked
- How to make bread without using yeast.
The bread you will make will be a white poppy seed loaf and a soda bread. During the times your bread is rising we will demonstrate more techniques of bread shaping and why getting this right is important to the finished look of the bread.
We will send you a list of ingredients which you will need to buy and traylists so you can weigh up everything in advance of the class. We will also send the recipes.
Recipes covered may include:
1 x poppy seed loaf
1 x soda bread